Friday, January 11, 2013

In weakness there is strength


When it comes to dealing and connecting with people, I have observed that our weaknesses are more useful than our strengths. Over the past five years since we began hiring large numbers of people with disabilities, I have seen wonderful things. The most surprising and delightful discovery has been its impact on people WITHOUT disabilities and the work culture.

Team members and managers say there is a better sense of teamwork, caring, sense of purpose and commitment to success. Who would not want to work in a place like that?  

How does that happen?  There are some things that we have done that help everyone like not letting problems fester, being clear on expectations and such. But there is more to it.

I saw it first when I visited a friend’s factory. He brought out a group of disabled workers and introduced them like a coach would his championship team.  He spoke with candor and without pity about each’s disability calling it a “positive distraction.” He then spoke how that person contributed to the success of the place. They were clearly equals. I was overwhelmed.  I thought about how hard I work to cover my own brokenness but here it was being dealt not as a shortcoming but instead as an incidental fact.

In most encounters we are always comparing ourselves to others. We see others’ strengths as threats.  Our natural tendency is to look for chinks in the armor.  The more threatening they are, the more flaws we see to lower them down to size.

However, when we acknowledge our shared weaknesses, we connect. Instead, we see each other’s strengths as source of hope not threats. That is how Alcoholics Anonymous works at its most fundamental level.  It is what happens intensive care waiting rooms. Tragedy and failure have a way of shaking us out of this slumber to remind us of our common humanity. Think 9-11. Sandy. New Town.

On a personal level I am at my best when I am reminded of the person I hope to be, not necessarily who I am. That reminder comes when I pause from looking for weaknesses in others and instead, consider my own. I am more tolerant when I recognize another’s problems could have been mine under different circumstances. I am at my strongest when I face the fact I can’t do it alone and sincerely ask for help without the certainty of getting it. 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for another "touchstone" reflection. Amazing how we can go through life - so easily overlooking them most profound (typically simple) truths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally, I found my way here and I'm glad I did. Your points on how we see ourselves in comparison to others is probably more about being aware of our capabilities and performance and feeling a healthy sense of competitiveness while also wanting to share our expertise. One thing I always try to remember is that I have a responsibility to make a contribution and that I'm in control of my own thoughts about who I am and what I have to offer. Realizing that everyone has something to offer the world is what helps us to remember that we all are special in some way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole. And a big amen to that last sentence!

      Delete